"Rich colors and fabrics, scale and proportion are essentials for window treatments."
Whether you have wide, tall or bay windows, in a modern apartment or a Victorian house, here you'll find some fresh ideas for interesting window treatments! Don't forget your patio doors: they should get their own window treatment, coordinated with the rest of the windows in the room!
Doesn't matter how "grande" or small a space is, window treatments are the design elements that can transform a room from uninviting and cold to welcoming and warm, and the proper window treatments can make or break a room.
3 Questions to Answer - Assess Your Window Decor
Question 1: WHAT'S THE WINDOW TYPE?
Choosing the best ideas for interesting window treatments resumes to the type of window you have in your house. The main window types are:
- Tip for decor: the window treatments should be done in such a way, it provides access for opening the window.
- Ideas:Think of a valance hanged over Roman shades or floor length curtains hung from a simple pole.
- Tip for decor:the window treatment should be chosen in such a way, it won't interfere with the way the window opens.
- Ideas:Consider heavy draperies and a scalopped cornice or drapery panels mounted on a bamboo pole.
- Tip for decor:window treatments can be placed along the dividing molding between the bottom window and the arch, or to follow the curve
- Ideas:Leave the arches area clear and cover the lower windows only with pierced curtains or sheers with ruffles rod pocket heading
- Tip for decor:consider where to mount the treatment: at ceiling height within the bay, or on the outside wall.
- Ideas:Decide if you want to frame each window individually or unite all of them by running a continuous valance across the front of the window alcove. For a clean simple look consider Roman shades made of voile or fine cotton.
- Tip for decor:whatever window treatment you consider, keep in mind the easy acces to opening and closing the window panels.
- Ideas:This type of window has lost of choices when it comes to window treatments. You can opt for roman shades, curtains with or without valance, even roll-up blinds.
See some of our popular pages:
Question 2: WHAT'S YOUR DECORATING STYLE?
Each one of us has a personal decorating style. If you're not sure which one defines you, look in your closet and see what are your favourite colors and what fashion designs you prefer.
Still not decided? Look here for more details on finding your personal decorating style.
Get ideas for interesting window treatments based on your taste and preferences:
Question 3: HOW MUCH LIGHT AND HOW MUCH PRIVACY?
A window is designed to let the light in. There are subtle variations in the natural light that can be achieved with different materials and also the privacy can be modified with the thickness of the sheers, drapes, curtains and blinds.
Before considering any of these ideas for interesting window treatments find out what are your preferences for the inside natural light, and don't forget the consider the climate you're in and the orientation of the windows.
Types of Window Treatments
There are an infinite number of combination of lengths, panel widths to experiment with. Valances can be used to hide rods and rings.
Nowadays, a more informal way to achieve the same look is to use a single scarf draped over the pole. Heavy materials will achieve better results.